Construction sites, by nature, can be risky when not applying the proper safety measures. Fall safety is essential in the construction and other work environments with a risk of falling from a height. Some common fall hazards include uncovered holes in the ground, unsecured ladders, and slippery surfaces.
Always be aware of the surroundings to prevent falls, and use OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) certified hole covers and ladder safety devices.
In this blog, you will learn:
- Dangerous situations to avoid
- What to do in case of an accident
- Preventive Best Practices
- Solutions to Avoid Slips and Falls
Dangerous Situations to Avoid
Construction sites with debris or tools left lying around can be hazardous. Tripping on such debris can cause harm. What is more dangerous is not paying attention to where you are walking and accidentally falling into a hole or, worse, from a height.
Some other situations are slipping on wet or oily surfaces or falling off an elevated platform or scaffolding.
Avoid these situations by applying good work best practices regulated by OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration). OSHA hole covers may include concrete hole covers to prevent these falls.
What to Do in Case of an Accident
Unfortunately, accidents do happen. Each employer may manage these situations according to their specific procedures. Here are the most common suggestions when this happens. If you do fall, try to stay calm and follow these simple guidelines:
- Call for help immediately
- If you can’t move, don’t try to get up
- Protect your head and neck by keeping them in alignment with your body
Preventive Best Practices
There’s a time of the year when construction activity ramps up. With more construction comes an increased risk of falls, so reviewing some essential fall safety tips is important.
- Stay tuned to your surroundings and be cautious of potential hazards.
- Watch where you’re walking, and step over or around any obstacles in your path.
- Wear proper footgear with good traction to help prevent slips and falls.
Some reasons why construction sites are prone to accidents may be because;
- Not using OSHA hole covers
- Lack of fall safety gear
- Not following OSHA standards
Avoid Slips and Falls With The Hole Solution
At The Hole Solution, we are a quality manufacturing company specializing in OSHA-certified hole covers that meet construction site standards. We pride ourselves in creating a patent product to ensure proper safety measures for your construction needs.
For more information, click on the link below.